Wednesday, September 29, 2010

talk to me

So much of our humanity's ability to get along and co-exist relies upon the simple passing of messages from one to another.  Communication.  Language.  Message.  These things are used everyday, by every person in the world.  There are many differences of course, many dialects and tongues, cultures and styles of communicating.  Yet there is a sudden, or rather recent shift in communication.  Yet this is not related to any of the pre-existing differences but rather a new age.  Social networks and the mobility of communicating.


  Its getting bad.  A few days ago I went for a run at dusk and also the folowing morning as I had to work all day.  As I was heading out of town that evening, I ran by a woman riding a bicycle, by herself, and I could hear her talking rather loud.  As I got closer and we passed one another I realizaed one hand was on the handlebars, the other on a cell phone and she was carrying on a conversation while pedaling up hill.  The following morning I was running on a dirt road about 2 miles from any populated housing and I spotted another woman (what I thought at first was an animal) and she was sitting by the edge of the road, no houses and sight, alone, talking on her phone.
  Now at the risk of judegement I would like to comment on what I think was the same woman.  I have run through all the scenarios and I still cant believe you would be talking on the phone, in the middle of engaging in another activity, especially as dangerous as bike riding can be.  Seriously.  Even if their best friend or soul mate was on the other end of the line, and they were very sick or something serious, why would you be engaging in other activities while trying to talk to them?
  I believe we have settled.  We, as a progressive culture of young people in an emerging world have settled for lackluster communication and poor connections.  This leads to misunderstandings, hurt feeling, lack of focus, and a completely scattered social scene.  I have come to believe that if somebody really wants to communicate with me they will tell me whats on their mind.  Instead, we often times just do it with a text, or a short internet message that may not even be received for some time. 
  They call it rude when you don't pay attention to someone.  Even careless.  We owe it to ourselves to speak the truth and take the time.  Is that not what you would want from somebody?  Want to plan a trip or make time to hang-out with someone?  Call them.  Have a serious topic to discuss?  Sit down for a cup of coffee.  I know your busy.  Who isn't?  It's worth it, it's important, it must come back.
  I really appreciate my Buddhist brothers and sisters.  They truly take the time to slow down, to connect.  In America, everything moves, fast.  Always has, always will.  It is up to us to connect with one another, on a real level, on a level where we understand eachother, where we know where the other person is coming from.  Our fate as a nation and our Hope of belonging and understanding in a world of so many different types of people relies on this communication.  Lets not settle for second rate.  Let's give our full attention to one another (as best we can) and Hope that, although we may never be able to fully embrace and co-exist, that we can, "not agree, but proclaim love; and communication."- Mae
After all, that is what this blog is about.  Its about taking the time to connect with one another and sharing daily life, good, bad, REAL.  The only reason it is daring is because we don't do it so much anymore.
listen:
anberlin- "Impossible" (acoustic)

No comments:

Post a Comment