Wednesday, January 12, 2011

We did it!

I admit that I am a bit of a dreamer.  Some would call me an idealist.  Regardless, I choose to believe in "the better part" as it were.  That being said, something struck me recently and I just can't let it go.
Where I live in NH there is a mountain called MT Kearsarge that overlooks a better part of the area.  In addition to being home to a fire-tower and the Colby-Sawyer annual "Mountain Day" destination, it is also home to a number of hiking trails.  The longest trail, titled "Lincoln Trail", travels just under ten miles up the mountain and back to the original destination of Mt. Kearsarge.  This trail first ascends the little brother to Kearsarge, called "Black Mountain".
  Now what struck me about this situation is that Black Mountain was supposed to be purchased by a contractor and turned into condos on the side of the hill.  That would have knocked out the trail and really been an eye sore for those who live in the area or travel south on Rte 89.  So the nature conservation had to raise some money to  save Black mountain.
  Well, this story ends happily and Black mountain will remain conservation land.  I am super excited and very grateful that they were able to make this conservation possible!  However, what shocked me was the money it took to get there!
1.2 million dollars.
That's correct.
1.2 MILLION DOLLARS $1,200,000
That's a lot of money, and i do not know just where the money came from or even if it is to be paid over many years or what.
But what shocked me, besides the amount, was that a community could raise over a million dollars for a piece of land, but yet we can seldom give $20 to our church or put a five in a homeless man's cup.
The title on the flyer said, "we did it"
and
I am super pumped to keep playing in the forest on Black Mountain.
But it makes me wonder.
As if it hasn't been said enough, being the wealthiest (or at least second) wealthiest country in the world how come their is still so much poverty and pain due to problems that could simply be fixed by very small financial distributions.

Should we buy a mountain or a clean water for a village?
Should we buy a mountain or give some meals?
Should we buy a mountain or a battered w omen's shelter?
Is the world really a cruel an unfair place or are we?

Even though I love Black Mountain, when given the option, I would much rather spend, or rather, distribute my "expendable" financial resource elsewhere.

listen:

Sleeping at Last "emphasis"

No comments:

Post a Comment